Thursday, January 29, 2009

Just because I love to share... Get Fat in Downtown Seoul

When Brian from Jeollanamdo came to Seoul a while ago, he asked me to give him some tips on where to eat in Downtown Seoul. I created a Google Map of my favorite places, and sent him the URL.

Now, some of my foodie friends might be choked at me for sharing this, instead of revealing it bit by bit, and giving them some morsels and tips before sharing them with everyone... and I'm also hereby surrendering my exclusive "I know a place" power, so that people can find them on their own, rather than having to buy me nice things before I show them another of my finds, but I just posted the link in a comment board at Ask A Korean! anyway, so I may as well put it here, too.

Wanna eat well in Downtown Seoul? Here are the best places I found, after living there for 16 months. As always, I offer no guarantees that ANY of these places are still open... but most of them probably are. And they're all winners. Promise.

Tell your friends. Tell ALL your friends... just give me the assist, and don't pretend you found it on your own, because I ate at a lot of crappy places to find these awesome ones, so you owe me that much. There's more, but this will do for now.

Go forth! Eat well! Brush your teeth after every meal, exercise regularly, and don't blame me for the impending weight gain.

If you really, really like the places I recommended, send me an e-mail and let me know. If you know of a place that deserves to be on the list, send me an e-mail and let me know. If you loved these places so much that you want to buy me something nice anyway, even though I gave my richest treasure away for free, fire me an e-mail and we'll work something out.

-have fun!
Roboseyo

The map:

View Larger Map

The link:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=117290158438041859718.00045d3022a94c182234b&ll=37.577236,126.982899&spn=0.025135,0.040941&t=h&z=15

4 comments:

Brian said...

Excellent work. This is the way food blogs should be, not tired rehashing of Korean recipies and pics. Tell me what to eat and where to eat it. Nice work again.

Darth Babaganoosh said...

Hey! I can see my house from here!

holterbarbour said...

Several more additions to downtown:

Directly across from Jirisan in Insadong are Dimibang and Nui Jo, which are also fantastic. Nui Jo is almost something like nouveau cuisine for Korean food.

In the mall underneath Seoul Financial Center, right at the beginning of Cheonggyechon, there's a very nice Thai restaurant called Thai Orchid. Fancy, but not too pricey.

Just next to Youngpoong Bookstore, (Jonggak Station), there's Tomatillo, which is in everything but name identical to a Chipotle in the States. Good, quick Mexican, although crowded during lunch.

Sanchon, a staple of Insadong. Quite expensive, but a unique experience that everyone should try at least once.

Seven Springs, in the basement of the Heungguk Life building in Gwanghwamun (look for the Hammering Man statue out front). Big all you can eat buffet with excellent everything. About 18,000 won a head; very good considering portion size (unlimited) and quality.

Unknown said...

Great resrouce. Anybody out there doing the same thing for any other districts in Seoul? Sinsa and Samcheongdong come to mind. Thanks again, I've passed this on to several frineds.