Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Coming of Age in Korea

I'd never heard about this until yesterday, when one of my 21-year-old students told me that the third Monday of May, for all the nation's 21-year-olds, is their formal "coming of age" day.

She said she was traditionally supposed to receive flowers, perfume, and a kiss on this day. Very interesting -- I didn't know anything about this.

Then today, at An Acorn in the Dog's Food, actually gives an explanation, with photos, of the ancient Korean coming-of-age ceremony, which involves hanbok, wine for men and tea for women. Thanks, buddy!

2 comments:

Darth Babaganoosh said...

I've heard of it, but never really saw it practised full-scale until this year. LOTS of female students around campus with flowers.

Anonymous said...

Glad I could help out!