Sunday, December 13, 2009

2 Weekends ago: Food at Sandang

I get behind on all the cool stuff I do from time to time, because my life is seriously like, just so awesome.

But especially when I have pictures, or if it makes my friends jealous of my, I like to post it on my blog, to rub it in, just how awesome I am.

OK enough of that... but seriously, I've had a few really enjoyable days that I haven't written about because I was busy either working, hanging out with Girlfriendoseyo the Awesome, or doing even more awesome stuff.

So here's an update on what I've been up to.

Sandang is a restaurant I heard about from the Seoul Eats guy, Dan. He's written numerous posts about Sandang: here's one.

DSCN6933

DSCN7002

DSCN7076

DSCN7000
It's a lovely restaurant, with a happy ball outside the restaurant: it's out in Yangpyeong, where restaurants are actually on grounds, rather then just being "second and third floor, XX building" the way they are downtown.
DSCN7077

DSCN7011
Nice place: I want to walk around there in the spring.

DSCN7064

DSCN7014

Nifty furniture: after the meal, they sent you to the second floor with a pot of coffee, and the second floor had all kinds of different spots to sit, lounge, and sip tea, depending on whether you wanted to sit on tables or cushions, in soft pillows or on arty chairs.
DSCN7058
DSCN7044

Girlfriendoseyo liked these chairs. I did too: the rounded back meant you could play the lean-back/balance relex game, and see how far you'd lean back before your inner ear told you to flinch.
DSCN7032

And the food, dear readers: the food!

DSCN6970
shrimp and shredded potato

DSCN6973
the first time I ever ate grasshopper.

The crabs were one of the most beautifully presented dishes.

DSCN6981
DSCN6986

A small scallopy thing.
DSCN6967

sushi
DSCN6942

oysters
DSCN6957

bit of beef: every major meat group was represented, and the flavors were unique: every one of them were simply prepared, with good ingredients, but instead of lots of spicing, they were then set next to some other flavor that drew out all the nuances of the tastes through contrast.
DSCN6954

these little savory ball-thingys were made with potato, sweet potato, and other stuff, then covered with sauces that offset their tastes perfectly. They were crisp on the outside, and soft on the inside, and they stretched my vocabulary looking for other ways to say 'good'.
DSCN6961

DSCN6952

DSCN6938
DSCN6941
By the end of meal, after the Hanjungshik came out, with every last side dish a small miracle of its own, I was stuffed silly.
DSCN6998

Here's a video of the visual highlight: the roasted acorn [update: my bad. roasted chestnuts], which they set on fire right at the table, and also a look at the full spread of side dishes that came out, and filled us to the gills, after we'd tried all the different specialty dishes: they filled us right to the top, with amazing food top to bottom, for our money.


Sandang is in Yangpyeong, about an hour by car outside of Seoul. It's a pretty little area near a river. You can learn more about it, and see more pictures, at Seoul Eats. It's pricier than Outback Steakhouse, but dear readers, even with a 90 minute drive before and after, the place, and the setting, and the food, and the food, and the food, was so good, it was amply, unhesitatingly, indubitably worth it.

So get out there and try some.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

When I lived in Korea, one of my students gave me 2 hermit crabs as a present...you didn't eat them did you? ; )

Roboseyo said...

I only ate one of them.